Intoduction to GIS - GIS4043

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Choropleth and Proportional Symbol Mapping


Module 7 – Choropleth and Proportional Symbol Mapping

For this week’s assignment we were asked to create a Choropleth Map Wikipedia" This it as a map that provides an easy way to visualize how a measurement varies across a geographic area as well as showing the level of variability within a region.  The data source for the map was a geodatabase (gdb) for Europe – NUTS Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics and Wine Institute for 2012.  I used AcrMap 10.3 to setup the map with the classification color scheme and proportional/graduated symbols. We needed to add an inset map and a north arrow, scale bar, and legend to the map.  I exported it as AI extension (Adobe Illustrator).

The map below shows wine consumption in Europe by population density.  For this map I chose a dark green to light green for my classification color scheme, and flame red circles for the proportional/graduated symbols.  I used Quantile classification for this map. Quantile: Divides the total data range into equal numbers of observations, then the values are placed into groups by their numerical order.

This map took me a long time to complete. I am still new to Illustrator and trying to understand how the layers work and how to use the program as a whole. I feel more confident, as I gain experience, and I am sure that with time, it will get better.



No comments:

Post a Comment